‘What’s in a Nain? – Raising the Widow’s Son (Luke 7:11-17)
Every detail in the Gospel stories carries various degrees of meaning and clues.
What’s in a Nain? Nain is a very small town just about 14/5 miles south of Nazareth.
Both towns overlook the notorious Valley of Jezreel.
‘Jezreel’ a combination of two words: ‘Almighty’ and ‘Sow’. i.e. ‘God Sows’.
Which sounds rather lovely.
But in the Old Testament, terrible events happened here:
- Jezebel was thrown out of the tower and eaten by dogs.
- Ahab murdered Naboth and stole his vineyard.
- Ahab’s sons were beheaded.
- Deborah defeated Sisera.
- Saul defeats the Philistines.
- Egypt defeated King Josiah.
- It is also next to Endor where Saul consulted a Medium before battle.
It’s looking pretty grim.Continue reading “What’s in a Nain?”